Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I am the Long Tail

Not too long ago Lisa brought home the book The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. His basic premise is very simple. The cost of storing inventory digitally is extremely low, even approaching zero. Businesses with digital inventory can have virtually unlimited inventory always in stock. Not only that, but people will buy the less popular items. Each item may sell only a few times a year, but that can mean thousands of sales each month.

Here is the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article about this:

The phrase The Long Tail (as a proper noun with capitalized letters) was first coined by Chris Anderson in an October 2004 Wired magazine article to describe the niche strategy of certain business such as Amazon.com or Netflix. The distribution and inventory costs of those business allow them to realize significant profit out of selling small volumes of hard-to-find items to many customers, instead of only selling large volumes of a reduced number of popular items. The group of persons that buy the hard-to-find or "non-hit" items is the customer demographic called the Long Tail.


I don't sell anything, so how am I the long tail? I've posted several videos on YouTube. Just yesterday I discovered a feature of YouTube. My videos have been viewed over 300 times since I posted the first one last August. YouTube gives me information about where the viewers are located.

For example, my most viewed video is called Lemur Walk. It has been viewed over 200 times.

Here is what's really amazing. It has been seen by people all over the world! Here's a partial list of the countries:

United States
Canada
England
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Poland
Croatia
Greece
Brazil
Chile
Turkey

I never would have guessed that viewers were coming from all over the world!

Now I did this just for fun and to share with family and friends. I only hope that those viewing my content enjoy it and come to view Jews and Jerusalem more positively.

No comments: